Hello! It has been a couple of weeks since I updated my blog. Just been one of those phases with many drafts and none published. So much happening in the country and around the world, lot to process, lot of emotions. I decided to let go of everything and post something completely unrelated. For the love of food and the experiences at potlucks !!
Being an Indian abroad we always have social gatherings and a lot that involve potluck lunch or dinners. No, this is not an organized ‘I bring an entree, you bring a dessert one’ but ‘I will bring something and you bring something’ ones. So we end up having dinner which have multiple versions of the same item. And many a time by a large group of people (whom we don’t know) whose culinary skills we don’t know about.
So what do you do at a potluck?
Look around the table to see what is on the menu today
- 4 trays of lemon rice in different shades of yellow
- 2 kinds Potato podimas (mashed potatoes with spices)
- 2 kinds of potato fry
- 3 kinds of puliyogare (tamarind rice) distinguished by the amount of peanuts in each one
- 2 kinds of channa masala (chick peas)
- 3 trays of sundal– black eyed beans, black chana dal and peas
- and finally 4 kinds of curd rice
- In addition a few trays of frozen samosas and pakoras and (ofocurse) dessert
Color, texture, consistency, presentation (yes they do matter when there is more than one)
- This lemon rice lacks color, this is not mixed well, this looks perfect – on the plate
- These potatoes are cut too big to fry, this podimas doesn’t have enough turmeric, these potatoes are cut right and looks great
- This puliyogare has enough peanuts and well-cooked, non-mushy rice
- This channa masala has better consistency and less watery than the other
- This sundal has the right amount of coconut and curry leaves – win!!
- Curd rice 1 too dry, curd rice 2 – no tempering, curd rice 3- too many pomegranate seeds, curd rice 4- looks creamy and inviting – on the plate
Once you have assessed and know what you want to eat, ATTACK before others do 😛
Socialize (…only if you really want to.)
Unfortunately free food means free conversations too. So make sure you say hi to a couple of people and have a conversation. Well, if you don’t feel like it you can always pretend to like kids and sit closer to them as they are on their Nintendo, Wii, PS4 and would leave you alone!!
So ..what are your thoughts on potlucks and gatherings? What is your favorite dish to take for one?